Thursday, September 23, 2010

365 Tao Daily Meditations

365 Tao Daily Meditations Cover

Book: 365 Tao Daily Meditations by Ming Dao Deng

365 Tao: Daily Meditations has been a constant companion for me over the last 6 months or so. As suggested by the book, I read one short passage corresponding to the current day, every day, and try to keep it in mind. Sometimes I only think about it for a few minutes. Sometimes it sticks with me for hours. Every once in a while a particular thought will stay with me for weeks.

That, in essence, captures the nature of this book: small vignettes of Taoist thought, presented not with forcefulness but with conviction, as an exercise for self-reflection. Whether you embrace Taoism, reject it, or are simply curious, the book presents for your perusal the author's own thoughts and meditations on broad-reaching, Universal subject matters: getting through difficult times, appreciating what you have, balancing your day, living a better life -- but without annoying preachiness.

After years of study, several of them with Daoist masters, learning classical Chinese to read the Daoist classics in the original, I have found this book to be the finest book on the subject written in English. Chinese Daoist Writings do not translate into Western languages very well. Terms crystal clear in Chinese become muddy waters in English. Deng Ming-Dao does not translate words, he has managed to express Chinese ideas in English words. I have vainly struggled to do so in order to share my insights with my husband. I Treasure my copy of this books so much that I am purchasing a copy for him.

I recommend buying this book and keeping it with you for the rest of your life. Certainly the last 6 months with it have been beneficial to me. Each morning, looking at the next passage is a joy, not a chore.

Buy Ming Dao Deng's book: 365 Tao Daily Meditations

Books in PDF format to read:

Max Heindel - Ancient And Modern Initiation
Alan Wallace - Lucid Dreaming And Meditation
Aleister Crowley - Book 4 Part I Meditation